This month Amy Burton is talking about breakfast. And it turns out your mum was right when she said it is the most important meal of the day!
For athletic folks breakfast is even more important. A healthy, filling, nourishing one is an imperative when you are about to embark on a training ride, or get your game face on for race day.
So what exactly is the perfect ‘athlete orientated’ breakfast comprised of? Well let’s look at what you need from your breakfast first:
- Muscles need to be stocked up with Glycogen, Fatty Acids and Protein, all of which are ‘burned’ for energy during exertion.
- The brain needs Good Fats, Protein, Complex Carbohydrates, Micronutrients, Vitamins, Minerals and Phytonutrients so as to remain focused and awake during exercise.
- All other bodily systems need an abundance of various Minerals, Nutrients and Water so as to function at an optimum level whilst training.
Sounds like a tall order? No worries! I have you covered with this recipe, which includes all the different elements you need and is far from boring or bland!
Carrot Cake Overnight Oatmeal
- ½ cup grated carrots and apple (1 apple, 1 large carrot)
- ½ cup mashed bananas
- 1 cup organic rolled oats
- ¾ cup coconut milk
- 2 tablespoons vanilla pea protein powder/hemp protein powder (Optional)
- ½ teaspoon mixed cinnamon and nutmeg
- 1-2 tablespoons healthy sweetener of choice (Honey, maple syrup, dates etc.)
- Pinch of Kalahari rock salt/Himalayan salt
- A handful of almonds
- 2 tablespoons coconut milk/almond milk
- 1 tablespoon coconut flakes
- ½ a chopped apple
- 1 teaspoon maca powder
- Cinnamon to taste
In a small bowl, mix all of the ‘oats’ ingredients together. Divide between two mason jars. Cover and refrigerate so the oats soften and absorb the liquid (activating).
If you prefer a warm breakfast you can heat on the stove for about 3 minutes, but I prefer it cold. Top with the almonds, cinnamon, coconut milk, coconut flakes, apple, maca and cinnamon. Take a seat and enjoy a protein-rich breakfast which will pack a tasty punch, deliver all the needed nutrients and keep you sated throughout your ride/run/workout.