We have yet to meet a person to look a gift chocolate crunchie in the mouth, so when Amy Burton penned this recipe we nearly bit her arm off for it.
These are no ordinary chocolate crunchies… topped with a decadent raw chocolate-orange sauce! And these little guys do more than just line your stomach, they fuel your body with the densest of nutrients, and instil in you an energy boost of note which will power you through your run or ride with no sugar spikes or nasty side effects.
Sus the Superfood Ingredient Facts
Yes dates and coconut oil are superfoods too!
- High Omega 3 fatty acid content
- High protein content
- High calcium content
- High in antioxidants
- Energy booster
- High iron content
- High potassium content
- Good protein content
- Rich in antioxidants
- High in healthy fats
- Improves metabolic function
- Contains anti-bacterial agents
Raw Choc-Orange Crunchie Recipe
- ½ cup shredded coconut
- 1 cup oats
- ½ cup linseed, sunflower seed and almond mix (ground in food processor to a flour)
- 1 heaped tablespoon chia seeds
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1 tablespoon maca powder
- 1 cup dates (soaked in boiling water for 3-5 minutes and then drained)
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ Kalahari rock salt (Or to taste)
- 4 tablespoons coconut oil
- 3 tablespoons honey
- A pinch salt
- 4 tablespoons cacao powder
- A handful goji berries
- A handful toasted almonds
- 2 drops orange essence oil
Whiz up your soaked dates in a food processor until a smooth paste is formed. Add your almond/seed mix and combine. Transfer to a mixing bowl.
Melt your coconut oil either on the stove or in the microwave and add to the mixing bowl. Pour in the rest of your ingredients and combine until a thick dough forms – it shouldn’t be too sticky, so add more oats if need be.
Press evenly into a square cake tin, lined with baking paper and place in the fridge to set for 20 minutes or so.
Melt your coconut oil and then add all other ingredients, using a whisk to combine until the sauce is smooth and creamy. Pour the sauce over the crunchie base and add goji berries and toasted almonds quickly before it sets! Place the crunchies back in the fridge for another hour and cut into squares with a warm knife thereafter. Enjoy as a pre/post/during exercise energy snack!